So I think it’s pretty safe to say that 6 months without a new post is pretty much a new blog’s own suicide. Good blogs, blogs that I follow, would never go that long without posting. Though, in reality, a lot of the popular blogs I follow are now run by full teams working full time. So it’s not really fair to compare this little site to them.
For Memorial Day Weekend, Art and I went with our friends, Wendy & Tim to the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks. I love looking back at photos but I’m SO BAD at taking them. For this trip, I challenged myself to truly document the trip and so I make a little travel video! This was my first time creating a video and editing the footage, so bear with me! I filmed everything with my phone and edited with imovie. I think next time I’m going to shoot for a 2 minute, sped-up video, but I’m pretty happy with this first effort. Enjoy!
Songs – My Silver Lining by First Aid Kit + Rise by Eddie Veder
Along with everyone else, I can’t believe this year has come to a close. I feel like the last two years have completely flown by – and rightfully so. A lot has happened! New jobs, marriage, huge move. Whew! I wanted to take a moment and document this year for myself and keep some of these memories alive. I didn’t post as much as I planned on this year mostly because I tend to prefer reflection once the dust has settled than share all my worries along the way. I know that process is part of the journey and part of the success of things, so I’m going to do my best and be more honest with our journey in 2016.
Much of the pause in White Space has also been due to a refocusing. I don’t like to commit to a blog when I’m not completely sure of the direction. The last six months I have spent a fair amount of effort to narrow down my interests and passions with the intent of creating a niche for White Space. I am going to be working towards making this space a place for tips on managing and coping with stress and how to create a life for yourself that maintains peace and calm. I think many things fall into this bucket, including a zen in your home and work environments. I also have more things I’m working on, and I’ll be sure to share more in the upcoming months.
Well that’s it for 2015! We’re planning on stopping by the Huntington Beach Pier for fireworks. Hope you enjoy yours! Happy New Years!
I thought I’d share some of my favorite apps. We’re all stuck to our phones these days and apps can be so handy. If you’re new to a smartphone or just looking for something new, this guide can help! You might know of some of these, but i figured it could be helpful if you found a new app friend here.
Our bedroom is a work in progress. I’ve been kinda stuck and confused on what to work on next. The poster and banner are two items I love and they worked really well in my single girl Atlanta apartment, but I just don’t think they are working here. I love the neutral, Southern California/Southwest color palete in our aparment and I don’t want to get too wild with color (you know that’s not my style anyways). Here’s a look at the rest of the room.
A mostly-realistic look at our bedroom with towels, hats, cables and hair products everywhere. Let’s be real, this was a “good” day. I have to admit, I did throw a stash of floor claimed clothes on the other side of the bed. Guilty as charged!
I have some ideas for the rest of the walls, but I don’t think I can work on them until the space above the bed has been figured out. I’ve been hunting for art online for a few weeks now and I’ve narrowed down my selections to four pieces.
About time I fill you in on life in Costa Mesa. It’s taken a few months to get our bearings in the area and now Art and I are feeling more established and familiar. We have our favorite restaurants and go-to doughnut shop. Which is a big deal – there are 27 doughnut specialty shops within 3 miles of our apartment. (!!!) Who knew Californians had such a sweet tooth! Here are some photos from instagram (I’ve been too lazy to take out the camera lately) with some highlights…
01. We’ve been hard at work decorating the new apartment. This gorgeous wall hanging is from Maree Jackson on Etsy.
02. & 03. Photos from our super fun (really late) wedding reception in Atlanta that we had in June. We rented a room at Manuel’s Tavern, had an open bar, and lots of dance music. It was so much fun and we can’t wait to get to Manuel’s in December.
04. Drinking lots of good coffee with our new Chemex. The beans I’ve been brewing lately have been from Heart Roasters in San Francisco. The Stereo blend is delish.
05. Mary and Andre came for a visit back in May and we went up to Point Dume in Malibu with them & the Fescoes. That beach is incredible.
06. Our little dining nook. It’s coming together! That beautiful photograph of Big Sur is by an Atlantan photographer, Morgan Blake. Happy to support both California & Atlanta! The kitchen overlooks the dining area, so it’s an extra plus to be able to wash dishes and lose yourself in that photo.
07. After nearly a month in Orange County, I landed an amazing creative job with SALT. Optics, a premium eyewear brand. I work and manage all of their visual imagery and branding and it is a dreamy, perfect opportunity for me. SALT is an amazing company and has a truly substantial product. All of the eyewear is designed here and then hand-made by Japanese craftsmen with high-end technology and mechanics. For someone who only wore cheap $10 sunglasses, I’ve been blown away by the quality.
08. On a recent visit up to Silver Lake. My best friend Steph visited me for a week and we were delighted to be introduced to The Black Cat – a nondescript bar from the outside and a total gem once you get inside.
09. Finally got to scratch the Rose Bowl Flea Market off my bucket list. It was awesome. Can’t wait to go again!
10. Amazing plexi zine-holding shelves that Art made for me. He really is a keeper. 🙂
11. Our trip to Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Great experience.